Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Insadong & Cheongwadae

Cheogwadae
Today I went to Cheogwadae, the Blue House.  This is where the president of South Korea lives.  Koreans will elect a president once every 5 years and each president is only allowed to serve 1 term.  Their election is held in December and like us this is an election year for them.  Of course we didn't actually see the president but I did see a lot of tourist, just like in DC.

Interestingly China tourist make up 40% of all visitors.  Their tour groups are usually noted by the huge grouping of umbrellas.


Lots of Chinese tourists with their umbrellas


I also learned today that 12% of Koreans have the last name Kim, followed by 8% Lee and then 6% Park.  Only royalty were allowed to have surnames and it wasn't until the 1860s that all Koreans were allowed by have a surname.  Everyone was allowed to choose a last name.  Park is a true Korean last name, you will not find a Japanese or Chinese with a surname of Park.  Our tour guide was a Ms Park and she was very proud of her surname.
Replica of the President's desk. Each of the boys had their picture taken in the chair

  
Boolgogi
I also briefly visited Insadong and had my first true Korean meal, boolgogi.  Boolgogi is marinated sliced beef in a wonderful broth with rice, kimchi, squash, seaweed and bean sprouts.  Koreans eat with stainless steel chopsticks and a spoon for the broth.  I like kimchi, I had the traditional Chinese cabbage type.  It wasn't too strong although I have been told it can be very smelly.






Street view of Insadong
After lunch we walked along the street and did some window shopping.  Insadong is known for their tea houses but I didn't see any.  I plan on making another trip there and will check them out the next time.  Because of the sun there were a lot of umbrellas open and I found that my eyes and face were routinely being poked with umbrellas.  I never thought that would be an issue, glad I wear glasses.


No comments:

Post a Comment