Monday, August 5, 2013

Noryangjin Fish Market

Markets. There are markets everywhere in Seoul. Flower markets, herb markets, veggie markets, and fish markets. Anywhere there is a space, there is an enterprising person set up selling his or her wares. The Noryangiin Fish Market in Seoul is no different. Underneath this huge roof there are a lot of vendors selling fish, mussels, squid, octopus, shrimp, sea cucumbers, sea urchins and the list goes on and on. 

 As with most markets, it is so overwhelming when you first enter. There is just so much to see. I went with an experienced friend and with a list; to buy a white fish. There are a lot of fish to choose from, fresh and still swimming, to recently removed from the water and lastly frozen.








In the end I bought prawns, mostly because I know what a prawn looks like and it was easier to make the transaction in my VERY limited Korean. I got 1/2 kilo for 10.000 won ($9.80). Cooked them with lemon and butter and kong namil as a side dish. They were fresh and delicious!




 Outside of the fish market along an alley way, there were 20 vendors selling vegetables. There were so many selections and I bought a large bag of soybean sprouts for 1000 won ($0.80). I'm not familiar with a lot of the vegetables but wish I were. I can see myself frequently these "stands" daily for my fresh produce. 









No comments:

Post a Comment